Mobile - Dauphin Island News Article
Alabama Power offers winter weather safety tips
With forecasters predicting snow and possibly icy precipitation in the next few days, Alabama Power wants customers to be prepared. Ice storms – prolonged periods of freezing rain – can result in power interruptions and create hazardous road conditions.
Here are some tips for staying prepared and safe during wintry weather:
* Check your supplies of non-perishable foods and heating fuel and replenish if needed.
* Charge cell phones and other electronic devices before the storm.
* Have enough prescription medicine to last several days.
* Make sure you have flashlights, a battery-powered radio and fresh batteries.
* Ensure elderly family members or friends who live alone are prepared for the weather.
Should a loss of power occur:
* Call Alabama Power’s Automated Outage Reporting System at 1-800-888-APCO (2726). It’s the fastest and most effective way to report a power outage.
* Disconnect or turn off appliances that were on when the power interruption occurred. Leave a light on to know when service is restored.
* If you use an electric generator, operate the unit outdoors in a well-ventilated, dry area away from air intakes to the home. Keep it protected from direct exposure to rain or snow. A good location is an open shed, under a canopy or a carport. Never use a portable generator indoors or in attached garages. Never plug a generator into a household wall outlet. Power from the generator can feed back into wires outside your home, creating a threat to repair crews. Plug individual appliances into the generator using heavy-duty outdoor-rated cords with a wire gauge adequate for the appliance load.
* Avoid opening refrigerators or freezers. Food will stay frozen in a fully loaded freezer for 36 to 48 hours if the door remains closed. If the freezer is half full, food will generally keep 24 hours.
* Stay clear from areas where repair crews are working.
* Stay away from downed lines.
For more safety tips and information about how to conserve energy during the winter months, please visit www.alabamapower.com.
Alabama Power, a subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO), provides reliable, affordable electricity to more than 1.4 million customers across the state.
Mobile - Dauphin Island News
Mobile - Dauphin Island Photos
Mobile - Dauphin Island Videos